Self Care & Wellbeing with Amanda Pickering (amandapickering.net)
No amount of self-care is selfish
Top 3 Self Care & Wellbeing tips
- Always try and get 8 hours sleep a night. It is more important than exercise or even nutrition for your wellbeing. It is vital to overall health and wellbeing to get ample sleep as sleep is when our bodies recover and repair. It also helps with focus, energy and weight loss.
- Move in some way every single day – It will get your creative juices flowing, make you feel happier and more fulfilled and will reduce anxiety and stress levels (couldn’t we all do with more of that?!). I recommend HIIT or Tabata style training to get the most bang for your buck. 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week is all you need!
- Take a minimum of 10 minutes for yourself every day – This can be reading, day dreaming, going for a walk, watching your favourite cooking show – whatever it is, take time to just be and do something you enjoy.
Why is self-care important for entrepreneurs?
I am firm believer in filling ourselves up before we try and serve others. As entrepreneurs we give so much of ourselves – our time, our energy, our focus, our creativity to others and we show up in the world and for our clients/customers in a completely different way if we are well looked after. I hear so many entrepreneurs say they don’t have time to look after themselves when the truth is they don’t have time NOT to!! It doesn’t have to be hours a week. Just one thing every day that is just for you – like taking a bath or reading a few pages of a good book. Self-care helps you feel connected to yourself and helps centres you and this means you can be so much more effective in your life and business.Self-care helps you feel connected to yourself Click To Tweet
How can one introduce a balanced lifestyle?
Set non-negotiable boundaries for yourself. As an entrepreneur it can feel like you can never switch off. You are your own boss which is great is many ways but can mean you work all hours under the sun, especially when it doesn’t ‘feel’ like work. Decide when you will turn your phone on in the morning, when you will check e-mails throughout the day, when will you reply to people i.e. are weekends, days where you won’t check your e-mails or reply to people. Decide when you will close your laptop for the evening and switch off? I recommend doing this 2 hours before bed, so that you can unwind and take care of you and your loved ones. Do things that make you feel good just because. They don’t have to have a purpose or an intended outcome apart from to make you feel good. As entrepreneurs we can get caught up in ONLY doing things that make us feel like we are moving forward in our businesses and it’s important to LIVE while we are making a living right? Otherwise what’s the point?!
How does one deal with overwhelm?
We live in an age where we are reachable and contactable on so many different mediums, 24/7. Much of overwhelm comes form not feeling in control of your time or day. So here’s a few things that can help with that:
- Don’t check your messages and e-mails first thing in the morning – as I always say, take some time to remind yourself who you are before the world gives you their opinion!
- Take some time to journal for a few minutes a day – it will help with getting what is in your heart and head out onto paper – and that makes a massive difference in our entrepreneurial brains!
- Make a to do list based on what the most important priorities are to YOU (not everyone else) and then go after them with laser focus.
- Don’t multitask! Work on one thing at a time – switch off Facebook, put your phone on Do Not Disturb and focus on the task at hand. Multitasking makes us less effective and creates more overwhelm. It is the worst strategy for feeling balanced!
- Outsource – if you think you can’t afford a VA, workout how much you are currently worth by dividing the money you make by the hours your work. If you earn more than minimum wage, it’s time to outsource! Here’s a great podcast on this exact subject http://www.chalenejohnson.com/podcasts/when-to-outsource-plus-elance-and-virtual-staffing/
- Give yourself a rest day EVERY WEEK. You might freak out at this but you need one day in the week to recharge, sleep in, chill out and just BE. Your body and mind will thank you. You need to slow down to speed up.
At what point should one reach out for help?
If you don’t know where to start and you want someone to show you step by step how to implement self-care and wellbeing strategies into your life, I am a firm believer in going to the expert rather than wasting time and/or money or searching the internet and sifting through questionable information. Especially with regards to health and wellness there is just too much nonsense out there! I once heard from Tony Robbins that the difference between success and failure is 2mm, meaning that to get the results you desire, you need to learn from somewhere that has been where you are, has gotten the results and can show you the way. You can spend years trying to figure it out on your own or you can learn from their mistakes in less than ½ the time!
What advice would you give to someone who wants to learn more about becoming a health and wellness coach?
Join a reputable health coaching school like The Institute for Integrative Nutrition and learn the art from the experts. That’s what I did and I found it invaluable. For more info, e-mail me so that I can advise on the best way to get started. I also have access to special savings so it’s worth checking in with me!
To find out more about me and get my free video series on the 5 foods that keeps us unhealthy and overweight go to www.amandapickering.net
If you want help losing weight, check out my ground-breaking weight loss program, Triple 5 – 5 steps to lose up to 5 pounds in 5 days at triple5.amandapickering.net and enter TRIPLE5LOVE at the checkout to get 20% off.